The Department of State Security (DSS) have reportedly started releasing some detainees following the sack of its former director-general, Lawal Daura by then-acting president, Yemi Osinbajo.
The Nation reports that this seems to be in line with the promise made by its acting director-general, Mathew Seiyefa.
During his maiden conference, he reportedly promised to review all cases.
It was reported that seven Ijaw youths from Bayelsa state who were arrested two years were released in Yenagoa.
The detainees were taken from Abuja to Yenagoa where they were released to their family members.
One of them, Clinton Ohaigbofa, said they were held in underground cells and faced a lot of hardship.
He said: “We didn’t do anything. We were arrested on May 24th, 2016. We were taken to the JTF headquarters in Opolo and were later transferred to DMI, Abuja.
“After interrogation, we were transferred to Defence Intelligence Agency. On August 26, 2016, we were transferred to the Department of State Service, Abuja. We stayed there for over two years.”
“They treated us badly. We were held in an underground cell. They gave us little bread in the morning, little rice in the afternoon and a morsel of semovita in the evening.
“Each portion of food cannot satisfy a two-year old baby. They deprived us of everything. They didn’t even take us to court. There was no freedom to even see light. They subjected us to severe punishment. They kept us hungry and deprived us of medication. Suspects are being released massively because of the new DSS boss. I don’t know the actual number released so far. But we thank the new DSS boss.”
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari has reportedly ruled out the reinstatement of the former director-general of the Department of State Services (DSS), Lawal Daura, who was removed by then-acting president, Professor Yemi Osinbajo.
The Nation reports that this is despite pressure from some members of the president’s kitchen cabinet.
A source reportedly said the president has no plan to bring back Daura and that the argument has now shifted to the possible retention of the new acting director-general, Mathew Seiyefa.
Visit www.tracknews.ng for latest news updates…
National2 days ago
Nigeria @ 62: “We can’t write off our nation” – Sen. Cleopas
News7 days ago
We Only Slept With The Lady Once, We Lured Her Into A Nearby Building After She Helped Us— Suspects
News6 days ago
UPDATE: ‘How suspected notorious kidnap kingpin John Lyon terrorised Bayelsa for seven years’
News7 days ago
I have nothing to do with notorious Lion -David Lyon
Niger Delta6 days ago
Amnesty Boss Gen. Ndiomu Appoints New Head of Reintegration
Breaking News7 days ago
JUST-IN: KIGNAP KINGPIN JOHN EWA AND OTHERS PARADED IN YENAGOA TODAY
Politics3 days ago
New London photo fuels rumour Bola Tinubu now wears catheter bag for urine
Politics6 days ago
Ayu: PDP heavyweights yield to Wike’s demand