– The Presidency says the Saraki-led Senate is to be held responsible for the delay in approving INEC’s supplementary budget for the 2019 elections
– Presidential aide, Garba Shehu, explained that a supplementary budget could not be submitted until the main budget was passed
– He further pointed out that after long delays, the president was pained to finally sign the ‘much distorted, butchered and debauched document’
The Presidency has dismissed Senate President Bukola Saraki’s allegation that President Muhammadu Buhari is to blame for the delay in approving the supplementary budget for the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
Malam Garba Shehu, the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, who stated this in a statement in Abuja on Sunday, August 19, said on the contrary, the Saraki-led Senate should be solely held responsible for the delay, NAN reports.
TRAKNEWS. NG gathers that Shehu asked the Senate president to look into the mirror; stating that what he will see is his own face.
“He is solely to be held responsible for deliberately driving the nation to this cliff edge as far as the preparations for the next elections are concerned.
“It is not true that INEC submitted their draft budget to the Presidency in February. No, it came much later but even then, this is not the real issue.
“The fact that their proposals came well after the president had laid his budget for the year 2018 before the National Assembly, meant that their own will be sent as supplementary budget.
“This was clearly stated to them by the minister of budget and national planning,’’ he maintained.
The presidential aide explained that a supplementary budget could not be submitted until the main budget was passed; and so, the delay in passing the main budget was the reason for the delay.
The National Assembly passed the 2018 budget seven months after the document was submitted by President Buhari.
He said: “Unless someone has forgotten, the budget was submitted to the National Assembly and it took the Saraki-led National Assembly seven months to release it.”
He said there was no way President Buhari could have submitted a supplementary budget while the main one was still pending, adding that “it is never done.”
“Because Saraki did not return the main budget, we could not have submitted the supplementary one,” he said.
Shehu noted that after the long delays, the president was pained to sign “the much distorted, butchered and debauched document.”
While signing the budget, President Buhari said that he was compelled to sign it so as not to keep the economy continuously at a standstill.
In his words: “When I submitted the 2018 budget proposals to the National Assembly on November 7, 2017, I had hoped that the usual legislative review process would be quick, so as to move Nigeria towards a predictable January-December financial year.”
The presidential aide further said that, “It is also worthy of note that this is the first time in Nigeria’s history that a government would bring together the cost of an election in one budget, with each agency involved, invited to defend their portion of the budget before the National Assembly.
“It is all part of the transparency that this government is known for.’’
He observed that in the past, “governments would approve INEC budgets and funding without a breakdown; often using ways and means to fund it. Not so under President Buhari.”
Recall that TRACKNEWS. NG previously reported that Senate President Bukola Saraki, on Sunday, August 19, lambasted the executive arm of the government for allegedly submitting the Independent National Electoral Commission’s budget for 2019 general elections late.
Saraki, who accused the executive of lack of foresight, made the statement through his special adviser on new media, Olu Onemola, while reacting to the allegation by the Muhammadu Buhari Media Organisation, that the Senate intentionally delayed the approval of the INEC budget
Visit www.tracknews.ng for latest news updates….
News4 days ago
Niger Delta: Ex-Ijaw Youths Leader, Chris Ekiyor, Leads Fresh Revolt
News6 days ago
Govt Orders Investigation of Viral Kogi Pastor
News2 days ago
Bayelsa Vigilante group rescue 13 yrs old girl locked, sexual molested, beaten in a Hotel
Business5 days ago
Panic as gas leakage occurs in Bayelsa community
News5 days ago
Mother and son get nearly N1 million in public donations for the auctioned automobile
News5 days ago
Obasanjo In-law, Ex-Banker Arraigned For Fraud
Politics6 days ago
PDP crisis gets worse, BoT meets with Ortom and Fintiri
Sports5 days ago
EPL: I’m sad you left Bernabeu for Man Utd – Real Madrid star tells Casemiro