Former Lagos Governor Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu has clinched the presidential ticket of the All Progressives Congress(APC) ahead of the 2023 general election.
He was the first in APC to declare his presidential interest. He reached out to delegates earlier than the others and covered more grounds.
Tinubu is described as the “last man standing” among his peers after the Fourth Republic was inaugurated 21 years ago.
The Nation had tipped Tinubu to win the ticket, which he did with 1,271 votes to defeat his closest rivals, ex-Minister Rotimi Amaechi and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo.
While Amaechi polled 316 votes, Osinbajo scored 235 votes and Senate President Ahmad Lawan polled 152 votes.
Here are five factors that helped Tinubu win the party’s ticket:
1. Last minute intrigues and horse-trading — The last-minute odds favoured Tinubu to win the ticket. The odds began to manifest after some of the aspirants started to stand down and declared support for Tinubu, urging their delegates to vote for him at the primary.
Those who stepped down for Tinubu were former Minister for Niger Delta Affairs Senator Godswill Akpabio; former Ogun Governor Senator Ibikunle Amosun; Ekiti Governor Kayode Fayemi; Jigawa Governor Abubakar Badaru; former Speaker of House of Representatives Dimeji Bankole; Deputy Senate Chief Whip Ajayi Boroffice and the only female aspirant, Uju Ohanenye.
2. His antecedents — To many political observers, Tinubu boasts of successes in reforming the civil service, reducing corruption and improving state infrastructure as Lagos Governor.
3. Strategic network and nationwide alliances — Over the years, he has strategically positioned himself across States. In the South-west, Tinubu consolidated on his home front to win the party’s ticket.
4. Cult of followers — Tinubu’s cult of followers over the years has continued to spread massively. He still holds sway in scheme of political discussions.
Many has described him as a strategic thinker who can adapt to changing circumstances.
5. Wealth of experience — Tinubu, according to his teeming supporters, possesses the qualities that can make a country great. He has mentored politicians across the country, many of who became Governors, Senators, House of Representatives members or appointed through his support.
Entertainment3 days ago
SHOCKING: Aguba Is Homeless!
News5 days ago
Sorrow As 3 Die In Osun Church
Politics5 days ago
UPDATE: Bayelsa State House of Assembly Rejects Gov. Diri’s Commissioner Nominee
News4 days ago
DELTA LOANS: MULADE CONDEMNS THE USE OF IJAW, ITSEKIRI AS COLLATERAL.
International6 days ago
Remains of Patrice Lumumba – A Gold-crowned Tooth Buried In DR Congo
News2 days ago
“Shoot At Travellers For Attempting To Overtake My Convoy” – Bauchi State Deputy Governor Orders Police
Gist4 days ago
GIST: 21-Year-old Nigerian Lady Celebrates Being A Virgin
Sports6 days ago
PROSPERITY CUP: Nigerian Football Legend, Kanu, FIFA Agent, Paul Leads European Scouts To Yenagoa