Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa has clarified the reasons behind the demolition of the Memorial Park built to honor victims of the June 2, 2022 terror attack on St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Owo.
In a statement released on Thursday, the governor emphasized that the decision was based on unresolved land ownership issues and cultural objections from the local community, not as an act of disrespect to the memory of the victims.
According to the statement, which was issued by his Chief Press Secretary, Ebenezer Adeniyan, the land on which the memorial was constructed legally belongs to AgroMore Limited, a company owned by the Olowo of Owo, Oba Ajibade Gbadegesin Ogunoye, prior to his ascension to the throne. The land had initially been acquired by the state government in 2010, but was re-allocated back to AgroMore Limited in 2021 during the administration of the late Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.
Governor Aiyedatiwa explained that the construction of the memorial park was carried out despite the absence of any official revocation of the land from AgroMore. As a result, the project was built on land that the state government had no legal right to use at the time.
He further noted that the demolition followed sustained consultations with the Olowo-in-Council and other stakeholders in Owo. The decision was made in response to both official complaints and public protests, which argued that the location and design of the cenotaph were culturally inappropriate. The park was modeled in the image of a cemetery, including symbols of the dead and inscriptions of victims’ names—features the traditional leadership and many residents of Owo reportedly viewed as a taboo.
“Although no bodies were buried at the site, it was constructed in the replica image of a cemetery, complete with insignia of the dead and inscriptions of the names of all the victims. This, the Olowo-in-Council and the people of Owo frowned upon and protested against as a taboo,” the governor stated.
Aiyedatiwa added that there had been ongoing discussions between the state government and the Olowo’s Palace on the possibility of relocating the Memorial Park. These talks reportedly began before the passing of Governor Akeredolu. However, he claimed that certain unnamed government officials took advantage of Akeredolu’s ill health at the time to accelerate and complete the project without following through on those consultations. The cenotaph, he said, was never officially commissioned.
In light of continued objections, Aiyedatiwa directed relevant ministries and the Owo Local Government Council to reassess the situation and coordinate a relocation plan. After reaching an agreement with the palace, the government reversed what it now described as a “faulty revocation” of the land and restored ownership to AgroMore Limited and the Olowo of Owo.
The demolition of the park, according to the governor, was carried out by the landowners with the approval of the state government. He stressed that the action was taken to preserve the cultural heritage of Owo while respecting the memory of the victims. He also announced that a new memorial would be built at a location deemed culturally and socially appropriate by the local population.
Governor Aiyedatiwa acknowledged the reaction of Bishop Jude Arogundade of the Catholic Diocese of Ondo, who had issued a statement condemning the demolition. In response, the governor expressed disappointment, claiming the church had not engaged the state government directly during the height of protests surrounding the memorial’s location.
He said the bishop’s statement contradicted the cordial relationship that had been built between the government and religious institutions. The governor pointed out that the bishop himself confirmed protests had occurred but failed to acknowledge the prior consultations or the government’s intent to find a culturally respectful solution.
To address the matter going forward, Aiyedatiwa stated that he had commissioned a team of officials to work with stakeholders, including religious leaders and community representatives, to identify a new site for the construction of a proper memorial that would be acceptable to all parties.
The June 2022 attack on St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church left over 40 worshippers dead and many others injured, shocking the nation and drawing widespread condemnation. The now-demolished Memorial Park was originally built as a tribute to those who lost their lives in the attack. While its removal has sparked criticism from some quarters, the state government insists the decision was necessary to resolve legal and cultural conflicts surrounding its location.