Saturday, 30 Aug 2025
Subscribe
TrackNews Logo
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Niger Delta
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Editorial
  • 🔥
  • News
  • Politics
  • National
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Breaking News
  • Gist
  • Health
Font ResizerAa
Track NewsTrack News
Search
Follow US
©2025 Track News Media. All Rights Reserved. | Website Designed By AfeesHost
Home » Blog » ‘Fleeing Inmates Will Be Recaptured’ – FG Reacts To Attack On Oyo Prison Facility
National

‘Fleeing Inmates Will Be Recaptured’ – FG Reacts To Attack On Oyo Prison Facility

Last updated: October 24, 2021 6:08 pm
Track News
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government has reacted to the invasion of the Abolongo Correctional Centre in Oyo town by unknown gunmen.

Naija News reports that 837 awaiting trial inmates escaped from the facility after the attackers stormed the facility around 10pm on Friday night bearing weapons and deploying grenades to gain access.

However, Oyo State Command of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) disclosed that a total of 262 escaped inmates had been recaptured, while 575 were still at large.

During an inspection visit to the facility on Sunday, Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, vowed that all fleeing inmates will be pursued and recaptured.

The minister assured the fleeing inmates that they will not be prosecuted for unlawful escape if they return to the facility willingly.

Aregebsola added that he has directed the NCoS to immediately begin the rebuilding of the damaged part of the facility.

He said: “I’m assuring Nigerians that the Federal Government will pursue not just those who attacked our facility, but those who have escaped lawful custody.

“The attack was unconscionable, I commend officers of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other members of sister security agencies who provided perimeter security for our facility for fighting gallantly and holding the fort before the attackers were able to gain access to the awaiting trial section of the facility, however, those who escaped are already being pursued. Some have been rearrested, many more will still be captured.”

Giving more details about those who escaped, Aregbesola noted 446 out of 907 escapees have been recaptured while 69 never left the facility.

He urged residents and people of the state not to offer any form of assistance in terms of material or support to the escapees warning that doing such is against the law and could attract sanction.

He added: “As at the last count, 446 of the escapees have been recaptured leaving 392 still at large. We want to assure Nigerians that the service has an updated database of the escapees which includes their biometrics.

“We are sharing the database with all security agencies in the country including the Interpol, so those who escape our recapture efforts can be nabbed.

“To those on the run, be assured you have nowhere to hide. You can run, but you can’t hide. We’ll fish you out! We are publishing details of those we escaped in the mass media so the public can assist in that effort.”

TAGGED:‘Fleeing Inmates Will Be Recaptured’ – FG Reacts To Attack On Oyo Prison Facility
Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Woman who sold her baby for N150,000 caught for selling her mistress’ newborn
Next Article EFCC Questions Pius Anyim Over ₦750 Million Fraud
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

Peaceful NASS, panacea for national progress – Saraki

By Track News
National

Obasanjo Says Nigerians Have No Business Being Poor Given Nation’s Vast Resources

By Ajayi Adeola

Mary Odili Bows Out Of Supreme Court, Tomorrow

By Track News

Buhari meets State Governors via video conferencing

By Track News
Track News
Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram

About US

Track News is a leading news site with a primary focus on Nigeria and world news in general. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Top Categories
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Niger Delta
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Editorial
Usefull Links

© Track News Media. All Rights Reserved. | Website Designed By AfeesHost

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?