Saturday, 30 Aug 2025
Subscribe
TrackNews Logo
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Niger Delta
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Editorial
  • đŸ”„
  • News
  • Politics
  • National
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Breaking News
  • Gist
  • Health
Font ResizerAa
Track NewsTrack News
Search
Follow US
©2025 Track News Media. All Rights Reserved. | Website Designed By AfeesHost
Home » Blog » Tensions Escalate as Police Secretly Transfer Sowore, Activist Alleges Assault During Detention
News

Tensions Escalate as Police Secretly Transfer Sowore, Activist Alleges Assault During Detention

Last updated: August 7, 2025 9:22 am
Track News
Share
SHARE

Nigerian human rights activist and former presidential candidate, Omoyele Sowore, has reportedly been secretly moved from the custody of the Force Intelligence Department (FID) in Abuja to an undisclosed location by officers of the Nigeria Police Force. The transfer occurred under controversial circumstances early on Thursday, August 7, 2025, and has since raised concerns among supporters and human rights observers.

Sowore had been detained on the evening of Wednesday, August 6, after honouring a police invitation over allegations of forgery and criminal defamation. Despite initially describing the invitation as “defective and riddled with legal errors,” the activist voluntarily presented himself at the Force Headquarters in Abuja at approximately 12:16 p.m., accompanied by his lawyers, A.K. Musa and Marshal Abubakar, along with a significant number of supporters.

Witnesses say he arrived prepared for a possible detention, carrying a travel bag filled with personal items, including toiletries, clothes, and books. His arrest came immediately after his arrival, fueling further criticism from civil society groups and his political allies.

According to a report by SaharaReporters citing a confidential source, Sowore was forcibly removed from the FID facility around 6:00 a.m. on Thursday. The operation was reportedly led by a Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) allegedly affiliated with Force Public Relations Officer Muyiwa Adejobi. The source alleged that the officer attempted to take Sowore without allowing him to get properly dressed, which led to resistance from the activist.

The resulting scuffle, the source claimed, led to Sowore sustaining a serious injury. “He wasn’t going to go out of the place without wearing his clothes,” the source said, alleging that Sowore’s arm was broken during the altercation. The incident has not yet been officially confirmed by police authorities, and the current whereabouts of Sowore remain unknown at the time of this report.

The forceful transfer and alleged assault have sparked outrage from Sowore’s supporters, particularly members of the Take It Back Movement and affiliated advocacy groups. Shortly after his arrest, these groups issued a two-hour ultimatum demanding his release, warning of potential mass protests if their demand was not met.

While still in custody, Sowore managed to post a message on his official 𝕏 (formerly Twitter) account, revealing that he had been served two petitions during his detention. The documents were reportedly presented by Deputy Commissioner of Police Akin Fakorede, a controversial former SARS officer with a contentious history.

One petition, Sowore stated, accuses him of forgery, while the second alleges criminal defamation. The latter was said to have been filed by Bukola Yemisi Kuti, whom Sowore claimed had recently been promoted to Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP). He further alleged that her promotion was linked to a personal relationship with the Inspector General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun.

“The notorious former SARS officer, DCP Akin Fakorede, presented two petitions to me from the illegal IGP’s office — one alleging forgery, and the other written by Bukola Yemisi Kuti,” Sowore posted. “Kuti, who was promoted to ACP because she’s mistress, alleges ‘criminal defamation,’” he added.

As of now, the Nigeria Police Force has not issued any official statement either confirming Sowore’s transfer or responding to the allegations of physical assault. Neither the Force Public Relations Officer Muyiwa Adejobi nor the Inspector General of Police has publicly addressed the situation.

The unfolding developments have sparked renewed debates over the state of human rights in Nigeria and the conduct of law enforcement authorities. Sowore, a known critic of government abuse and advocate for civil liberties, has had multiple confrontations with Nigerian security agencies in the past, many of which have drawn international attention.

Legal analysts and rights groups have raised concerns about due process, transparency, and the potential abuse of state power in Sowore’s case. Calls are mounting for an independent investigation into the alleged assault, his current detention status, and the legal basis for the petitions presented against him.

At present, public anxiety continues to grow as no official communication has been made regarding Sowore’s condition or his present location. His legal team has also not provided an update since his alleged transfer. Supporters have vowed to continue demanding accountability and his immediate release from what they describe as arbitrary detention.

Share This Article
Email Copy Link Print
Previous Article Police Discover Military-Grade Explosives at Scavenger Facility in Kaduna
Next Article Former DSS Director Urges INEC to Halt Early Campaign Activities by APC and ADC
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Your Trusted Source for Accurate and Timely Updates!

Our commitment to accuracy, impartiality, and delivering breaking news as it happens has earned us the trust of a vast audience. Stay ahead with real-time updates on the latest events, trends.
FacebookLike
XFollow
InstagramFollow
LinkedInFollow
MediumFollow
QuoraFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad image

You Might Also Like

FG alone can’t fund education – Minister

By Track News

Anambra 2021: IPOB Deserves To Be Heard – Soludo

By Track News

Bayelsa PDP Chieftains, Hon. Obuebite Cancels Birthday Celebration, Holds Prayers Session For Flood Victims.

By Track News

IGP orders Ondo police commissioner to restore deputy gov’s security details

By Track News
Track News
Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram

About US

Track News is a leading news site with a primary focus on Nigeria and world news in general. Stay informed with our real-time coverage across politics, tech, entertainment, and more. Your reliable source for 24/7 news.

Top Categories
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Niger Delta
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Crime
  • Editorial
Usefull Links

© Track News Media. All Rights Reserved. | Website Designed By AfeesHost

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?